Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I deleted my /etc/samba/smbd.conf file, aaaahhhhh!!!

Recently I deleted the file after messing with the settings and not getting the results I wanted. I figured I could simply delete it and it would automatically recreate it from a "default" template and it would magically reappear. I know, that was dumb.
  1. You could force an uninstall with dpkg and then reinstall with apt-get:
    sudo dpkg -r --force-depends samba-common
    sudo apt-get install samba-common
    
  2. The problem is that the configuration will break since it's missing the smbd.conf file so you will have to:
    sudo cp /usr/share/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    
If you have been paying attention you might be asking yourself... "Well, if I have to do that doesn't that mean that smbd.conf has actually been in the /usr/share/samba/ folder the whole time?" ...and you would be correct. If you have removed that file by mistake, like I have, all you have to do is the first command in the second step and just configure it again. You might want to keep a copy of the default one handy in case you do it again.

To summarize, all you need to do to fix this issue is:
sudo cp /usr/share/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.default
Now you have your default file back and a ".default" copy in case you mess it up again.

Enjoy and happy linuxing,

Marlon

No comments:

Post a Comment